|Greenbrier College for Women|
Location: Lewisburg, West Virginia, USA
Opened: 1812 as Lewisburg Academy
From the West Virginia Encylopedia:
The Greenbrier College for Women, which once operated in Lewisburg, descended from the Lewisburg Academy. Dr. John McElhenney, who was the third pastor of Old Stone Presbyterian Church, came to Lewisburg in 1808. He and his wife organized a board of directors and succeeded in having a two-story brick building constructed to house the academy. McElhenney was president of this board from 1812 to 1860. A succession of principals and presidents followed, with Philander Custer and Alex Mathews being two of the most successful.
Having closed because of the Civil War, the academy was reopened in 1875 and its name changed to Lewisburg Female Institute. Across town the boys’ division opened and by 1890 was known as the Greenbrier Military Academy, later Greenbrier Military School. Robert L. Telford was the last president to serve while the school was still known as Lewisburg Female Institute. Lewisburg Seminary was the third name, from 1911 to 1923. Then the school was named Greenbrier College for Women and continued as such until 1933.
|Greenbrier College students (1959)|
This Article was written by Bettie S. Woodward
As we too often see in the history of women's institutions, there were (apparently) not a lot of women leaders who were prominently involved--and the few who are recognized in passing aren't even identified by name.