|Blackstone College (1928)|
Location: Blackstone, Virginia, USA
Opened: Received its charter from the Virginia state legislature on February 15, 1892 and opened its doors to students in 1894
The Blackstone Female Institute was established by the Farmville District of the Virginia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It began with six acres of land that were donated by the Blackstone Land Company--hence the college's name. The first session of the school included a grand total of six teachers, 29 boarders, and 42 day students.
From the Virginia United Methodist Assembly Center, who later acquired the campus property:
At the beginning of the school, the five year course covered the equivalent of the 8th grade and 4 years of high school. In addition to standard academic courses, the curriculum included 3 years of Bible studies, 2 years of educational psychology and 1 year of moral philosophy.
Enrollment peaked at nearly 500 before a fire in 1920 devastated the campus. While the structure was under construction the wing built in 1908 was also destroyed by fire. Because of the fires, the leaders of the Blackstone College for Girls were determined that the replacement building would be immune from fire. The date the buildings they had constructed out of concrete with little woodwork stand strong in good condition. The auditorium and gymnasium were added in 1926.