Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Opened: Incorporated 1888, opened for classes in 1909. First accredited as the Colorado Woman's College in 1932.
Closed: 1982, when the assets were sold to the University of Denver
By 1967, enrollment at the Colorado Woman’s College reached over 1,000 students and it switched back to being a four-year institution.
Turns out that this was something of a double irony, as the Buell "gift" turned out to be nothing more than a legacy (or endowment trust) in Buell's will. As the New York Times stated in Buell's January 1990 obituary,
Except that the old name was resumed with a slight twist. As the Colorado Women's College Alumnae Association explains,
After the Temple Buell College era (1966 - 1973), the board of trustees voted to revise the use of "woman" in the college name to "women" to emphasize the purpose of CWC - to educate many women.
Personally, I find a certain degree of irony in the fact that Temple Buell made his fortune by building regional shopping centers in old "swamplands." Tease out that metaphor as you will.
The candle-lit Walkout ceremony followed the dinner. The student body president led the procession of new students through the CWC arch in front of Treat Hall. Freshmen were forbidden to walk through the arch until they were led through by the senior class. At that time, they were allowed to remove their beanies and become official members of the college community. (We didn't have beanies in the 1970s.)
After the procession through the arch, the upperclassmen lit the candles of the freshmen and the school song was sung.
Later in the evening, there was a student rally in the student union where dorm songs and cheers were performed with each dorm trying to drown out rival dorms!
So what happened to this college? Here's the more-or-less official explanation:
By the late 1970s, the college had experienced continued falling enrollment and funding, with higher education specialist Gary A. Knight deeming the college "financially desperate" and lacking enough prospective students, the "lifeblood" of the college, to sustain itself. In 1982, CWC's assets were sold to the University of Denver, a private university that opened The Women's College of the University of Denver that same year. The campus was home to the Women's College until 2001, when it became home to the Denver campus of Johnson & Wales University two years after the initial purchase was made.
The shorter explanation? The College was mismanaged.
Photos: From Colorado Women's College Alumnae Association